Friday, July 4, 2008

First Post!

Hey everyone, or no one, depending on who stumbles upon this blog. My name is Keilan. First, I'll give a little rundown on who I am. I live in Canada, enjoy photography and computers and will be attending university this coming September. I decided to create this blog because I am exploring Linux, programming, and other computer type stuff and wanted to share my experiences with others who have similar interest. So if you do, make sure you add this to your favourites list and check for new posts on an hourly basis. :) Anyways, enough about me, here's a bit of info of what I'm doing.

First of all, I'd like to introduce you to my main computer. It's a Dell XPS M1330 laptop. Under the hood it has an Intel Core2Duo T8300 2.40GHz processor, a 250GB HDD, 4GB of DDR2 RAM and a Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS graphics card. So not a beast, but definatly not bad. That is what I will send the majority of my posts from. Here is a picture with my fantastic background (if anybody wants the background or any background you see in the future, just leave a comment and I'll post it). Well, here it is!



Now, more importantly than my main computer, is the rig I will be testing Linux related things on. I did manage to scrape together a decent monitor and keyboard setup for it. Here is a shot of that:


Alright, now the monitor isn't so bad. Unfortunately the same can't be said about the computer itself. It is what I would refer to as a fossil. It is running a 600MHz Pentium III processor, 256MB of RAM, a 15GB HDD, and a graphics card that I have yet to identify (although I am almost certain that it is integrated).


This is what I am attemping to run Linux on. My first attempt at running Linux was with the distribution Xubuntu 8.04. After popping in the install CD, I prompty received a "Setup requires 256MB of RAM" message and that was that. Although I did have that much RAM, I believe the graphics card uses some of it. So my next attempt will be with a Linux distribution called Damn Small Linux (my apologies about the name, from now on it will be called DSL). So that brings me to where I am now, attempting to conjure up a download CD for DSL.

Updates will come when I do more stuff, until then,
Peace out,
Keilan

2 comments:

erin de la cruz said...

That's, uh, fun!

KeilanS said...

Yep, nothing but fun for us computer people. :)